Bethel, Porter Lutheran
The pioneer settlers of the Porter area worshiped
in a country church south of Porter where the Bethel Lutheran
Cemetery is located. The congregation was organized in 1873, eight
years before the founding of Porter.
The Original Porter Church was located one mile
south of Porter where the Bethel Lutheran Cemetery is now located.
The original church building was moved into Porter after Porter
Lutheran Church was built. The building was used as an addition to a
home in town.
Porter Lutheran Church in the 1890's, the church
did not originally have a basement.
Porter Lutheran in the 1950's, during its final
years of existence. In 1964 the congregation moved to the newly
constructed Bethel Lutheran Church across the
street from Porter Lutheran. Shortly after the Porter Lutheran
Church was demolished, bringing the tall steeple out of the skies of
Bethel Lutheran Church, built in 1964, is Porter's
only remaining church.
Porter's Methodist Church
The Methodist Church was located on the North side
of Porter on the corner of North Brook Avenue and Chestnut Street.
< Return to Porter