Porter Elevator Fire
March 27, 2011
Porter's tallest building, standing prominently for over 100
years was reduced to rubble in the matter of hours.
Smoke was reported to be seen coming out of the Porter Elevator
Feed Mill between 6:30 and 6:45 AM on Sunday, March 27, 2011. By
7:00 AM the Elevator was completely engulfed in flames.
Fire Departments from Porter, Canby, St. Leo, Taunton and
Marshall responded to prevent the blaze from spreading. The last
standing "classic" elevator building in Porter (seen in the banner
of this website) was reduced to rubble by 8:30 AM.
At the end of the day the old Porter Elevator Feed Mill was
completely destroyed. With it the Elevator's Feed Truck, which was
stored in the elevator, was also a complete loss.
Porter was home to three traditional prairie
grain elevators at one time playing a critical role in the growth of
the community and getting area farmers' grain to market via the St.
Peter and Winona Railway.
The last remaining traditional elevator in
Porter was still in use and operating as a feed mill, not far from
it's original purpose when built over 100 years ago. Originally known as
the "Eagle" or "West" Elevator and Mill it is estimated that the
original, tallest, part of the structure was built before 1905. It
is believed that the well known "Porter's
South Side" photograph from the 1890's was taken from atop for
"Eagle Elevator". The Mill is shown in a photograph of the Porter Depot dated
1914 that appeared in the Porter Centennial newspaper. Proudly
stated on the mill is "______ Flour For Sale Here" in bright white
lettering on the side of the building.
The Porter Elevator Mill Building appears in
this 1914 Photograph in the background.
Porter Elevators - 1950's
The picture above shows two of Porter's three
elevators. These two both stood where the Porter elevator is
currently. The elevator in the background burned on March 27, 2011.
The foreground elevator was demolished in the 1980's to make way for
a modern bin and lift system to provide greater loading and
unloading speeds and more storage.
Porter Elevator - 2008
(click to enlarge photos)
Fire - March 27, 2011 (click
to enlarge photos)
Before and After
Copyright waiver for use by the press: Members of the
Press are granted full access to copy in full or part the stories
and photos above. A reference to
www.portermn.org as the source is kindly requested.
< Return to Porter History Library