From: Porter Progress; Porter, Minnesota; August,
1981; Volume 81, No. 81
school No. 83 organized in 1898
The first school
in the area of Porter was in Wergeland township, District 34
northwest of the settlement; and until 1898 the Porter
children attended school here. District 83, the first Porter
School, was organized February 15, 1898, and the schoolhouse
was completed in June of that year. It was a two-room
structure costing $2,500.
In 1908, the
Porter school became a three-room school when the lower room
was divided to make two rooms. Mark Anthony Paulson became its
first principal at the age of seventeen.
Districts 6 and
34 of Lincoln County consolidated with Port in 1910. In 1921
District 34 of Yellow Medicine County moved itís schoolhouse
to Porter and attached it to the existing structure in order
to secure more space for the additional students and the
expanded curriculum which included two years of high school.
However, within a few years District 34 left the Porter
District and the District 34 building was sold. The high
school curriculum was also discontinued.
District 34 of
Lincoln County transported pupils to Porter beginning in 1939.
District 6 of Lincoln County and District 47 of Yellow
Medicine County followed the same pattern. During the early
1950ís a rural schoolhouse from near Clarkfield was purchased
for $2,000 and moved at an expense of $2,000 to the Porter
schoolgrounds. It was attached as an addition to the existing
structure and used as a classroom for the intermediate grades
and indoor bathrooms, the lunchroom, and the woodworking shop.
After 1939, the school
continued to teach pupils in grades 1 through 8, with 9th
through 12th graders
attending Canby High School. In
the 1968-69 school year it was decided to close the school
and join the Canby School District for all grades, allowing
Porter students to attend Kindergarten for the first time.
building that most remember was a white frame structure with
large windows complete with a bell tower on the roof. Each of
the three classrooms had its own library, flag, wooden clock
and maps. Also a part of the structure was a kitchen and
lunchroom where students could eat home-cooked meals or from
their own lunch buckets prepared at home.
To the rear of
the kitchen, was a woodworking shop in which boys were
instructed in woodworking techniques by a local carpenter and
the janitor. Attached to the rear of the shop was the bus
garage which housed the bus driven most often by the janitor
to transport the Porter students in grades nine through twelve
to the Canby High School.
included the usual subjects of reading, penmanship,
arithmetic, history, geography, spelling and language. Art and
music were taught on alternate days. The music classes
prepared many students for Christmas programs and Memorial
programs and recitals which were attended by the whole
community. These programs were held in the Porter Community
Hall. Many awards were given to winners of spelling bees, and
students with perfect attendance and fine penmanship.
school-picnics, PTA meetings, recitals and class trips to as
far away as the State Capital were boosters of moral and
pleasant learning experienced. Students and parents alike
looked forward to participating in these events. The
interaction with the community helped to keep the school and
its students concerned about each other.
After the school
was closed and later dismantled during the mid-1970ís the
school grounds were given to the city by the school district
and made into a city park. Despite the absence of a
schoolhouse, the location continues to be a focal point in the
community for children and adults alike for recreation and